American Woman in Paris

American Woman in Paris

This is about my unique view of a unique city and from a unique life perspective. To see more of my photos go to www.flickr.com/photos/81362812@N00

Friday, September 22, 2006

Parislog 63
September 22, 2006

One of the hazards of living in these old buildings is the noise. There doesn’t seem to be any sort of noise barrier between the upper and lower apartments and the floors are wooden. The people who live above me have a young child in the neighborhood of 2 years old and ever since they returned from their August vacation, the child has been into running. Even though she has only thin soft leather soles shoes on, it sounds like an elephant lives above me. Some people like me are just naturally heavy on there feet and I think this little girl is one of them. I had written a couple of letters asking for help but understanding that children will run and they were very nice and did there best to prevent it in the morning. But even so kids being kids they run, they drop things, they play.

Consequently, for the last three weeks, I have been on total exhaustion at all times. Then with being over exhausted, I couldn’t fall asleep at night because of worry about the morning. You know how that is. I was turning in circles not knowing what to do. What I did do was keep telling myself that I would start sleeping through it. I said it night after night and morning after morning as I listened to the thunder above my head.

Two nights ago, it changed. I slept through the morning noise. I was so thrilled but thought that I shouldn’t get too excited as it could have been a fluke but this morning, hurrah, it was the same. I slept all the way to my alarm clock. I am still in sleep deficit but am getting back on track and ecstatic.

2 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh. How I understand you. The very same situation above my appartment. The little gremlin is now 5 year old. After months of hell when I made the parents aware of the situation to no avail, I had to make them share my passion for Jimmy Hendrix. Foxy Lady full blown one hour long + some Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc.
Eventually they realized they should take notice of their neighbour.
As for sleeping, may I recommend the use of ear plugs. it's wonderfull. In France there is one name: "les boules Quies". It works wonder. (Monoprix sell them or pharmaciens).

Good night.

Flocon

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Ah, Flocon. Ah sympathetic ear. I wake up this morning to your story of Hendrix and Stones etc. and have a good laugh. I am so happy that your neighbors sat up and took notice.

I have been wearing earplugs for years now but with little miss elephant, it made no difference. I am going to look up the brand you are mentioning though.

Thanks so much for the morning laugh. I needed that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home