American Woman in Paris

American Woman in Paris

This is about my unique view of a unique city and from a unique life perspective. To see more of my photos go to www.flickr.com/photos/81362812@N00

Monday, August 21, 2006

Parislog 45
August 21, 2006

Our kind Mayor has created something called 3 Days, 3 Euros. It means that for 3 days we can go to any movie in town for 3 euros. How excellent is that? Especially when it is an average of 9 euros ($12) a movie. So today I went to 2. The first one I went to was The Hills Have Eyes. I can’t say as I recommend it even though I usually really like horrors. It was not one of the better ones and the acting was pretty bad. It was also super gruesome. The one thing that I thought was pretty cool about it though is that it takes place in the old New Mexico nuclear testing site and in the mock town. That part was really creative set design.

The second movie I went to was Slevin and I thought that one rocked. It is again a bit on the gruesome side so if you have a sensitive stomach, be prepared to cover your eyes a lot. But it was really funny at the same time, which was quite a surprise and I must say that the acting was really pretty good. There was such a subtle interplay of expressions and you could watch thought transitions as they happened on the faces.

The theatre were Slevin was playing was unique in my experience because they had a woman walking the aisles before the show selling concession items from a basket hanging around her neck just like the old cigarette girls. For those who are reading this and want to know it was at the UGC Normandie, 116 ave Champs-Elysees.

It occurred to me today why there is such a difference in the price of my camera here and in the states and that is something called TVA. Here is a receipt showing you what is happening. Look at the TVA line and you will see that a tax is added at the percentage of 19.80 percent. Could you just puke? That is absolutely highway robbery. Worse case scenario, when my camera is mailed to me from the States I will have to pay the TVA and I will be right back where I started from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home