American Woman in Paris

American Woman in Paris

This is about my unique view of a unique city and from a unique life perspective. To see more of my photos go to www.flickr.com/photos/81362812@N00

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Parislog 35
August 9, 2006

For the first time, I went to a film that was in French. It was called “Paris, Je t’aime.” That is “Paris, I Love You”. I had heard good things about it in particular from H*. She felt that I could handle the language so I decided to gave it a shot. I didn’t understand enough of it to annoy me, but I got enough of it to know what was going on. In fact, I thought the movie was actually really good. 22 directors each were able to tell a short story about an area of Paris with no story connected except by it being in Paris. Surprisingly, it worked very well with stories from tearjerkers to belly busters.

I had been to one other small movie theatre here and both times have remarked that there was no concession stand. They were both 3 screen, I think and in little tiny spaces. It was rather nice to not be tempted to buy something and stuff yourself with unwanted although yummy calories. I will usually have one of those boxes of chocolate raisins, something that has been super-sized and worth about 4 candy bars in one sitting.

While waiting for the movie, I wandered around a bit and came across a building that had a very strange false front attached to it. It didn’t go all the way to the ground. It was old architecture with strange modern windows stuck in weird places. See for yourself. Any guesses? Coming from Hollywood, my first thought was a backdrop for a film.

I was also fascinated by this piece of road construction equipment.

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This strange building is the hotel Fouquet's. The architect of this is Edouard Fançois. The new "old façace" is in concrete.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Thanks for the info. I thought maybe it was just to hide construction. I didn't realize it was an actual architectural statement. Maybe if the bottom hadn't been surrounded with construction....
I think that I will go back and look now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home