American Woman in Paris

American Woman in Paris

This is about my unique view of a unique city and from a unique life perspective. To see more of my photos go to www.flickr.com/photos/81362812@N00

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Parislog 24
June 5, 2006

Okay, I am getting behind here. I left off with May 22. A childhood friend’s daughter and friend came to Europe and stopped by to visit for a couple of days. They were both a couple of firecrackers with tons of energy. They are 20 and 24. I guess that explains it. Makes a girl feel her age. They were a lot of fun and we walked many miles of Paris. I was able to show off some of my new knowledge.

On one of our stops C* was laying on the floor of St. Sulpice church to take a picture of one of Delacroix’s paintings and an older lady helped her up off the floor. I guess she thought it was inappropriate or something. We all had fun chasing pigeons into the air in the square in front of the church. We saw a photo shoot with a strangely made up model in 37-inch heels in front of the wall of an ancient building. Then the wind got absolutely crazy and it was actually moving us as we walked. Both C* and I have big hair and on her camera are some amazing shots of the two of us with our hair going straight out. Another stop on that day was the Gucci store. C* has been a model and is quite tall and stunning looking. She decided to play like she had money and tried on a dress and shoes. Then she pranced through the store trying it out. She was reveling in the moment. It was hilarious.

The next day we went up to Montmartre and on the way up the hill we ran into some of these illicit street vendors. Their gig is to take your wrist and tie a string bracelet on it and then I presume you are supposed to pay them. Well, I had watched them on another day grab the arm of a man and not let go of him so when they approached I was on guard. I guess I was kind of in mother bear mode. Sure enough one of the guys grabs C* arm and I immediately turned on him and very forcefully yelled “degage”. He flipped out like I had cursed at him, which I assure you I hadn’t. It simply means go away. I move right into my face and went nose to nose with about 2mm of space between our noses and started to scream at me. I refused to back down. I am done with being run over by anyone. I just kept repeating the words and he got vulgar. Finally his buddies came and tried to soothe the situation. I took advantage of the moment to disengage and leave with the girls. He followed at a distance continuing to call me very derogatory names and then disappeared. I was very proud of myself very having stood my ground and not getting shaky either. I guess it is easier to protect others.

The girls went out that evening but I forgot all about the fact that the door doesn’t work without the key after 10 or 11 at night. F* had returned from his trip and mentioned it so at about the time that I expected they could come back, I stood out on the balcony and waited. It was actually rather interesting to watch the parade of humanity going by but I was freezing and had to go put my winter coat on. But it all worked out. I could here them coming down the street and I went down to let them in.

May 25th was another holiday here. I think this was another Catholic church one. I went with A* and her friends to see the movie Da Vinci Code. What are movies like now in USA? There was 25 minutes of mixed commercials and previews before the movie. And it was mostly commercials. Then the movie was another 2 and ½ hours. My butt was numb. I can’t say as the movie knocked my socks off either. Oh well. That evening I went with H* to a comedy show, an Irish guy named Tommy Tiernan. He was a good laugh.

I finally went and ventured into the Bois de Boulogne. It is really quite amazing to find yourself inside a small forest right beside the city. It is really wild with paths and trails through it. You can always hear the city though. It is famous for the denizens of the night but I only saw one hooker setting up shop while I was there. However it was early yet. When I exited it was in the lower part of the 16th arrondisement. The rich neighborhood. Metro stops are far and few in between. I finally made it to one called La Muette and I really liked the neighborhood. It was actually lively with people out and about and cute stores to shop in. I wouldn’t mind living in that corner. It is so different than the rest of the 16th that is so quiet that it is sometimes spooky.

A couple of times now I have run across soldiers carrying guns in the metro stations. They seem to be at the major train stations that go out into the rest of France. I don’t know if they are always there but it is really weird when I do see them. I ask to take a photo and the soldier said that it was interdit (forbidden). Too bad but the next time I saw them when I was getting my tickets to London, I quickly snapped off a shot when they weren’t looking.

I had a couple of more dates this past week but still no sparks. So far though everyone that I have physically met has been a gentleman and a decent conversationalist. I just haven’t found that certain something. Just got to keep trying.

On Sat. A* and I went to the chateau “Vaux-le-Vicomte”. It was absolutely amazing especially because we did the candlelight tour. Beforehand we watched a Moliere piece out in the gardens. I got more than I thought I would and the actors were hilarious with their super exaggerated style. We then went and ate a little dinner at the onsite buffet style restaurant. The food was surprisingly good. It wasn’t like an American buffet where the food is a bit on the cheesy side. We sat outside and were surrounded by the ancient buildings of the estate while we ate. Too cool. Then we went for the tour and it was very romantic with nothing but thousands of candles in the chateau and across the grounds. In the basement we got a look inside the wine cave and it was everything that you would expect it to be. After looking through the inside we went for another tour of the gardens. This time it was in the dark with the candles. One could easily imagine it being a fabulous romantic date. Maybe another time.

Yesterday I went to Gare de Nord for my Eurostar tickets to visit my family in England. That was quite an adventure. It took me quite some time to find the ticket counter as it was not very clearly pointed out and was upstairs on another level. Good thing that I went ahead of time to get the tickets and scout out the situation. The station itself is very beautiful with its metal trusses and glass paneled ceilings. Very industrial age. After I got my tickets, I was in desperate need of the facilities and again it took me forever to find where in the building they were located….and they cast 50 centimes. What that is about, I don’t know. And then they would have given me a ticket if I didn’t have the cash and peed on the floor. Seems awfully expensive. Fortunately I had the 50 centimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home